WELCOME TO DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH (DEGREE OF BACHELOR OF ARTS)
The relation between literary art, language and thought has been known and discussed at least since Aristotle.
A sound knowledge of language is essential for a literary scholar in order to see and analyze variety of the movements of thought in the literary work of arts. In this way the student grows in clarity of thought and perception and develops the mind creative capability.
- To ensure graduates have a well-informed literary sensibility, which will enable them to respond in a creative manner to their environment.
- To produce graduates who have such linguistic competence that will make them skillful users of English Language.
- To produce men and women who understand their society and contribute effectively to its upliftment.
- To prepare students for postgraduate studies in English Language, Literature, Drama and Theatre, as well as in Oral Literature or Folklore in order to be able to teach competently in Nigeria Secondary and Tertiary institutions.
- To produce graduate who can exploit the rich resources of language for a sharper literary appreciation.
The Department of English, Caritas University, Amorji Nike, Enugu offers two kinds of programmes.
A four - year programme B.A (Hons.) single subjects degree programme by entrance examination.
A three - year B.A (Hons.) degree programme by direct entry.
Candidates for admission into the department of English must have obtained acceptable pass level in the UME. In addition, satisfied other academic conditions that may be prescribed by the institution:
- Candidates admitted on a four-year programme by entrance must have passed English Language, Literature in English and three other relevant subjects at least at credit level in not more than two sittings in the WASSCE or its equivalent.
- Direct entry candidates for three-year programme must have obtained a grade at least (D) in Literature in English and one other Arts subject in the GCE A/L or its equivalent.
- Transfer students may be admitted for a three-year or two-year programme for the B.A. Degree based on their academic qualifications, thoroughly verified by the department and on the department and the approval of the Senate.