WELCOME TO DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE (DEGREE OF BACHELOR OF SCIENCE)
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES OF OUR PROGRAMME
THE PROFESSIONAL DEGREE PROGRAMME
- To prepare students for professional practice in the field of Architecture. In the regard emphasis is placed on understanding concepts, principles and patterns as well as on developing operational skills necessary for practice.
- To help students in developing a high level of architectural design competence through sequential courses and studio projects under rigorous but non doctrinaire academics leadership.
- To expose students to global human settlement issues and in particular the complex problems of designing for a country like Nigeria undergoing rapid cultural and economics changes. To this end, emphasis is placed on acquiring knowledge to solve the practical problems of the Nigerian society.
- To accommodate through flexibility in course offerings, the interests of three categories of students namely:
- The academic oriented students
- The action oriented students with strong vocational motivation
- The research oriented students
The department provides a sum year professional degree progrmme in Architecture consisting of four years of general architectural education followed by two years of specialized professional training terminating in the award of B S.c Arch. and M.Sc Arch. degree Graduates of this programme are eligible for registration as Architects as provided for in the Architects Registration Decree No 10 of 1969.
- Normal Admission:
Candidates seeking admission into the Department should credits at the school certificate or GCE Ordinary Level in the following subjects.
- English language
- Fine Art or Technical drawing
- Economics or Geography
A candidate who fulfills the conditions for normal admission and who holds an ND or HND certificate in Architectural Technology at Upper Credit level may be considered for special Admission into the 200 level and 300 level of the programme as the case may be.
- Courses offered to students of the Department are drawn from the following areas of study.
- Architectural Design
- Fine and applied Arts
- History and Theoretical Studies
- Building Systems Technology
- Humanities and social studies
- Environmental control system
- Physical sciences
- Management studies